Pre-K3 Program Highlights
Our Pre-K3 curriculum is play-based, using themes to develop concepts and skills in an age-appropriate manner. We utilize Smart Board technology to enhance the learning experience. Activities include alphabet, number concepts, movement and music, story time, language experiences through poems, nursery rhymes, finger plays, dramatic play, gross and fine motor, and sensory exploration. We explore integrated instruction across all content areas with The InvestiGator’s Club Curriculum.
We introduce the Catholic faith in a simplistic way using Bible stories and religious articles such as the Crucifix, Blessed Mother, Rosary, Advent Calendar, and other symbols.
Children work together to follow Jesus' example through kindness and patience with one another.
In Pre-K3, students are introduced to all the basic concepts outlined in the Archdiocese of Baltimore curriculum, with a hands-on approach to strengthen fine motor, gross motor,social-emotional and cognitive skills.
Parents choose St. Jane Jane Frances' Pre-K3 program knowing their child is taking part in an early educational curriculum that prepares their child for Kindergarten and beyond.
Pre-K3 Program Schedule
Our Pre-K3 program offers full-time options for students. Our Pre-K3 programs are staffed by caring, certified teachers, who are highly qualified to create a safe and ideal environment for the good of the whole child. The goal of the program is to prepare students for Kindergarten and to become life-long learners.
Students must be 3 years old by September 1st.
Early Education Subject Areas
Found below is a listing of the areas of study with example content and essential skills.
Released in 2011, “Bringing Good News” is the Archdiocese of Baltimore Religion Curriculum for Elementary Schools. This standards-based curriculum serves as a guide, a roadmap for both teachers and students as they embark on a journey, which will provide them with the knowledge and understanding of the faith as witnessed in the teachings and the traditions of the Catholic Church. The curriculum is built on the Six Tasks of Catechesis: Promoting Knowledge of the Faith; Liturgical Education; Moral Formation; Teaching to Pray; Education for Community Life; and Missionary Initiation and is aligned with the Assessment of Catholic Religious Education (IFG:ACRE). By the completion of preschool, students will master a variety of skills including:
- Identify self and my family as belonging to God’s family.
- Identify the Bible as a special book about God.
- Dramatize the stories about Jesus from the Bible, i.e. The Last Supper, The Christ Child in the Temple, The Good Samaritan.
- Demonstrate how we show our love by using kind words and positive actions.
- Participate in prayer with the family, alone, in class and at Church.
- Identify the saints as God’s special friends who are part of the family of the Church in heaven.
- Discover that God has made each of them special and that individual differences are gifts from God.
- Understand when we help our family and friends we are showing love to others like Jesus did.
Revised in 2013, the curriculum for all elementary schools in the Archdiocese of Baltimore include the following units:
- Counting and Cardinality
- Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Measurement and Data
- Numbers and Operations in Base Ten
- Numbers and Operations
Catholic educators never forget that our schools exist to bring our students to Christ. By continuing to implement new standards that are challenging, we work to fulfill the promise of quality Catholic education that educates the whole child, both mind and soul. By the completion of preschool, students will master a variety of skills including:
- Count groups of objects to 10 in order to solve a problem.
- Subitize: immediate recognition of the number of a group without counting.
- Manipulate actual, physical objects to represent the problem when working on a solution (e.g. apples to represent apples).
- Use measurement vocabulary when describing the attributes of objects.
- Recognize shapes in their real-world environment.
English Language Arts
Revised in 2014, the English Language Arts Curriculum for the Archdiocese of Baltimore is designed using the Catholic, College and Career Ready clusters as its foundation. Through literature, this course of study fosters students' Catholic identity, shaping them to be models of Christian living for others. This curriculum is fully integrated with our Catholic faith. We provide students with a curriculum that is rigorous and rich in literature, oral and written language, grammar, writing, vocabulary, informational literature, and multimedia/technology. By the completion of preschool, students will master a variety of skills including:
- Exhibit curiosity and interest in learning new vocabulary (e.g. ask questions about unfamiliar vocabulary).
- Describe the relationship between illustrations and the text in which they appear (e.g., what person, place, thing, or idea in the text an illustration depicts).
- Actively engage in group reading activities with purpose and understanding.
- Confirm understanding of a text read aloud or through other media by asking and answering questions about key details and requesting clarification if something is not understood.
- Distinguish shades of meaning among verbs describing the same general action (e.g., walk, march, strut, prance) by acting out the meanings.
Additional Subject Areas
While there are not defined standards in preschool for the following subject areas, Catholic schools offer exploration and introduction to the content that will be learned in future grade levels:
- Instructional Technology
- Social Studies
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Physical Education/Health
- World Languages
We invite you to learn more about our Pre-K2 and Pre-K4 programs!
Ready to Apply to St. Jane Frances Preschool
Located in Pasadena, Maryland, St. Jane Frances Preschool is a private Catholic school for students in Pre-K2, Pre-K3, and Pre-K4. To learn more about our school and the admissions process for the upcoming school year we encourage you to schedule your private tour today.